Saturday, July 17, 2021

Are You A Talmid Of God's Word?

Good Morning Everyone!

Image- Mine (This is my Jewish study Bible).


    I hope everyone is doing well today! I am sitting here enjoying my cup of coffee reading my Bible. I don't know about you, but I love quiet mornings. I don't like to hear a lot of noise for a couple hours after waking up. I enjoy the quiet and stillness of the morning before all the bustling about begins. This week, the Lord has reminded me of the importance of reading and studying His word. In this blog post, we are going to discuss the word talmid and what it means. We are also going to find out if we are talmids or not. So go make your cup of coffee or tea if you haven't already and let's begin!

  What does talmid mean? It means a disciple or student. A student of what? A student of the word of God, they not only read, but they study and once they have done this, they are able to apply what they have studied to their daily lives. You see if you go back in history, young Jewish boys would go to school to study God's word or torah. Remember torah means the first five books of the Bible, the law of Moses. Today Jewish boys, girls, and teenagers all go to school to study God's word! When I researched this information, I became very excited. The age that they start studying God's word is at the age of 12 or 13 when they have their bar or bat mitzvah. (a ceremony for their beginning of studying Torah). This reminds me of when I was a child, I would go to children's church and we would have a lesson on one of the books of the Bible or we would discuss different Bible characters. During the week, I remember before going to sleep, my mother would come in our room and read a story out of the Bible to us, we would have to answer questions, and she taught us to pray the Lord's prayer. I have never forgotten it and still pray the Lord's prayer today. 

      So you may be asking yourself, what does this have to do with me? That's a great question. This has to do with you because you are called to be a talmid of the word. Everyone who has accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior is called to study His word. Once we start studying His word, we are able by God's grace and through His strength to apply His word to our lives. When the disciples were with Jesus, they learned from Him. He was their teacher or Rabbi, they did what He did. His behavior and ways began rubbing off onto His students. Think about it, if we began to really get serious about reading His word everyday and becoming true talmids, we will begin to see a wonderful change start happening in our lives. The old flesh, the sinful nature begins to die as we purposefully begin to become like Him. We learn from Him through His word, through prayer, and with the wonderful help of the Holy Spirit. 

  So my friends, I pray that we all become true talmids of the Lord, that we will study His word and take it very seriously. I pray that we will open up our hearts to Him for new revelation of His word and help for us to apply His word to our lives. I pray that this post blesses and encourages you today as you begin to live all out for the Lord. He loves you and He wants to become a talmid of His word. May God bless you and keep you! Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment